Wanted some advise on remote start install

Hey people, just wanted some ideas about installing remote start on my

2000 focus, what remote starter kit to buy, and if its a big deal to install it myself. Whats involved or if I should just get a professionally installed. Are there some remote kits easier to install than others???

thanks Justin

Reply to
JEODELL

You might be able to find some info at

they carry several brands of equipment.

Reply to
I. Care

Do not by the remote starter by price.... There are good ones and there are some stinkers... Canadian Tire, here in Canada, markets a "ProStart" series.... Put one in my kids truck and works well, put one in the next truck I gave hime (took the first one back) and it works well... I know several people that also purchased them... all with good reviews and now my loving bride wants me to remove the Ford "Silver" from our good truck and install the bidirectional ProStart.

Make sure that your choice has the features you want... cold weather valet.... low battery valet.... valet mode (disables the remote starter for valet parking)... progressive door unlock (unlocks only drivers door on first button press - my wife travels to the city by herself quite often and I like this for security/safety reasons)... car finder/panic alarm... trunk release.... the list goes on and can add a measure of convenience... If you have a manual transmission, I'd go as far as to say forget about it but if you insist, get the proper unit and don't try to circumvent any of the "safeties".... been more than one owner sideswipe his house (or worse).

The bidirectionals can tell you if your car did, indeed, start and can also alert you if a door has been opened.... others come with a built in motion detector ar a motion detector as an add-on module.... in a bidirectional, this can also alert you through the fob.... some fobs are both tone and vibrate.....

Some searching might reveal a "piggyback" connector for the ignition switch.... this will make some of the wiring painless.... Still, you will be getting very intrusive with your cars wiring.... This part can make or break an installation.... this is no place for "that's good enough" and it's no place for crimp connectors. Having the wiring diagrams for you car will go a long way to making the install fool proof, but if you can't read them or solder wires... it wont help.... If you opt to have it installed by a shop, be warned.... some of the worst wiring I have ever seen has come from shops that should know better. A good quality install wont be quick nor cheap.

As far as the PATS system is concerned, any good remote will offer a PATS bypass module either included or as an add-on.... Your Focus will have PATS....

Lastly... if fuel consumption is a concern, you will find a remote starter will make it worse....

Reply to
Jim Warman