Remote start... Gear sensor.

Hi guys, I'm planning on building a remote start on my bug. I push a button on a remote and it starts. I dont want to install those ready to install kits. I want to build it myself. I have experience with electronic stuff since I has a kid and built myself all the devices to home automate my house, and control it with a pc/pocket pc (stuff that I plan to do in the bug too). So, about the problems. I've installed one of those keychain remotes to unlock/lock doors, and it works fine. The remote has another button to open veicle trunck, and that is the button i'm using to remote start it. One of the problems I'm dealing is to know when the car is in gear, so that it doesn't remote starts if that is true. If the car is in reverse, I can detect it by the reverse light, but the other gears don't have a sensor. How does the reverse gear sensor works? Is there a way to put a sensor on the other gears? I would also like to have a digit panel to tell my witch gear I'm in, so the gear sensor would work for that too. If extra gear sensor installing is possible, is it possible without pulling the engine out? I can't seem to find the reverse gear sensor, but that is probably because It is out of reach in the transmission. Other problems like, knowing when engine is running on it self so the starter can stop, i've been able to overcome, but the gear sensor would really help me. I would want to press the remote start button and the car starts driving away impeled by the starter becouse it was stuck in gear.... Can someone help me? Thanks!

Manuel Macedo '70 bug.

Reply to
Manuel Macedo

A man after my own heart :-)

The Reverse switch is at the far front of the nosecone on the tranny. Fitting another switch to detect other gears would be near impossible.

I would choose to detect gears using the position of the shift rod (in the tunnel). Open the tunnel access cover plate under the rear seat and have a helper move the shifter so you can see how it moves. The rotation of the rod is only a very small angle so you'll need to watch closely.

Maybe attach small cams to trip limit switches or magnets and reed switches, or LED's and tiny masks.......

Speedy Jim

Speedy Jim

I was going to add that it might be smart to install a second, redundant, limit switch to detect gears in Neutral. This one would be wired directly into the starter solenoid wire.

The extra switch direct-wired would eliminate a false start due to some electronics failure.

BTW, the solenoid draws a *lot* of current. As much as

35 Amps for the initial inrush. You need a good-size relay to handle that.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks Speedy, I tought about that, but the diference of positions is very small, it woud have to be very precise switch position, I'm gonna try it this way anyway but since I predict problems I was hoping that something reverse sensor would save my day... I'll post the results soon. Thanks once again!

MM

Reply to
Manuel Macedo

"Manuel Macedo" schreef in bericht news:C2DD46C3.86D% snipped-for-privacy@netcabo.pt...

Is it realy necassary to see all gears? The reason I ask is that it is (afaik) easier to install a switch onto the gear coupling which alows you to to start only in neutral. The switch is set to connect in neutral and when put in first and thirth the coupling will go backwards and disconnect. If put in second and fourth the coupling will go forward which also disconnect the circuit...

Asuming this is a manual tranny of course.

jmho, Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Neutral sensor is plan B. I wanted to sense all gears so that a digit panel shows what gear i'm in. Just to raise the cool factor :) I'll try it anyway, if it doesn't work: plan B. Thanks,

MM

Reply to
Manuel Macedo

An Idea then - if you want to sense all gears.

Take a computer joystick - they are really cheap ! all you need should be inside :)

Locate it beneath the shif rod as speedy sujetsted (

Hi Speedy - (Tusses VZi))

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

Hi Rich:

Nice one on the Joystick. Hadn't thought of it.

How about this: A round cutout from cardboard, perhaps 40mm diameter. Big hole in the centre to fit round the shift rod. (Slice the disc in order to slip it on the rod.) Jubilee clip to fasten (or glue...) Punch 3 tiny holes in disc, at differing radii. LEDs shining thru disc to illuminate light sensitive diodes. The diodes provide a digital output for each of the

3 rod angular positions.

One more piece of cardboard along the length of the rod with 3 holes for "fore", Neutral, "aft" positions.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Nice one Jim - and for that - I would be taking apart computer mice ! also nice and cheap :)

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

Ooooooooooooooooo Yes!! The big stack of old mice I have awaiting just such an end :-) Why did I not think of that?

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I installed a remote starter in my 74 Super. The transmission in this bug, and every bug after 74, has a switch on the trans to set the "fasten seat belt" light if you put the car in gear without your seat belt on. So, when the bug is in neutral, the switch is closed (or open, cant remember which). I used it to disable the remote starter if the car was left in gear. It worked perfectly. I've since removed the remote starter from the bug and put it in another car, but for the time I had it in the car, it did the trick.

I realize this doesn't help you if your transmission doesn't have this switch, but it might have others that might.

Reply to
Cyclone Guy