weird sound coming from Windstar.

99 Windstar, when I turn the wheel and make a turn at a very slow speed (less then 5mph) the steering groans, at any other speed its fine, also when I reverse and turn it does not make the groaning sound.. any ideas?
Reply to
The Gaylord 2006

Not enough information - but power steering pumps do wear out after lots of miles. Slow speed creeping and high turning effort is when you are asking the most from the pump, and the worn parts will groan.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

It sounds like when your power steering pump is under load it is making noise.

Does it sound loudest when standing still? Do you see a normal fluid level?

Just asking and guessing....

tom @

Tom The Great

I had one ford that the power steering pumped growled slightly when it was "perfectly" full. After removing a small amount of fluid it would quiet down.

Reply to
George Jetson

I'm guessing you put it back in the 'normal' range?

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great