What's a good wheel for an Aerostar?

Let me just say I love my Aerostar. It's a '93 and is in great condition. It's just got that heavy clumsy feel that I like in a van! It rides nice and high too. Today's minivans just don't have those qualities.

Anyway my tires will need to be replaced in a few months, and I want to ditch the hubcaps and get a nice steel rim, like the ones from U.S. Wheel. You all have any recommendations as far as rim and tire size go? Or should I just stick with 14"? Important for me is having a nice smooth ride, and the engine running at low RPM's.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Matt opined in news:Vo5ld.19246$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.tampabay.rr.com:

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The factory 14 x 6 aluminum alloys are just fine with the 215/70/14 tires. If you want to go a little more aggressive, try a 225/70/15 or

235/60/15 package, but this is about all the room you have on the Aerostar, and don't get carried away with more than 6" wheel width, there just is not that much room in there...

Rob

Reply to
trainfan1

Just now bookmarked that site!

Reply to
Matt

Anything much more than one size oversize and you are likely to experience body interference. My vote is for a set of the standard "low trim" styled steel rims with the little center caps and trim rings - or forgo the trim rings. Get used ones - a dime a dozen - have them sand blasted and powder coated in "argent", or silver. As the 215 70 tires are not terribly common, go one size larger. I had

235 70 LT tires on my 90, and they did not cause a problem, rode reasonably well, and had no sway when towing the 17 foot house trailer. Standard passenger car tires were too soft in the sidewall unless I inflated them well beyond spec. The tires I had on mine were Bridgestone Duelers, IIRC.
Reply to
nospam.clare.nce