Whats a good way to touch up a scratch?

Hi All: I have a 2005 Escape Limited Red Fire metallic. I was talking to my neighbor today about how I've had this car for 8 months and doesn't have a mark on it. Ten minutes later and bang. My other neighbor's kid drops his bike on the door and of course the handle bar puts a 1/2" scratch. It is basically showing primer. It isn't bad, but nevertheless, I'm pissed. (The kid isn't a bad kid, it was an accident). I'm going to the local Ford dealer tomorrow to get a bottle of touch up.

Anyone have any advice on how to touch this up? In the past, I have tried putting a little paint on the scratch, let it dry for a few seconds and the rub off the excess. I would repeat this a few times until I'm happy with the result.

Anyone try this before?

Reply to
msterspy

I've done just that numerous times. The results usually are better on non-metallic paints, such as the off-white that was on my Eclipse. The spots I've touch up on my Escape (True Blue Metallic) look OK, but I can still see them, even if no one else can. I found that wrapping a low lint, fine nap rag around a small square block, then putting the thinner on that and wiping lightly across the touch-up paint works best- it helps keep the rag from wiping the paint out from inside the scratch. Good luck! SC Tom

Reply to
SC Tom

wait till someone runs a stopsign an hit him

hurc ast

Reply to
3 dog nite

Post at the site above you'll get all the help you need.

Denny B

months

bottle

Reply to
Denny B

To circumvent Murphy's law the rule is that before you leave the dealership with a new dent free vehicle you're supposed to open the trunk & with a ball peen hammer make a small dent & scratch of the trunk floor (or other inconspicuous location). Failure to do so results in others picking the location for the dents ;-)

Reply to
Some ga

Something like that recently happened to me with my Crown Vic. I had old rear bumper damage that was my own fault. Some one plowed into me and I got my rear bumper replaced free of charge. I don't think that I will wait for with the Escape.

Reply to
msterspy

Not too worry. If you have a witness, that something fell on your vehicle, take it to a shop get and estimate and report it to your insurance carrier. That kind of damage is covered by your comprehensive coverage. Comprehensive claims do not effect ones rate.

mike hunt

msterspy wrote:

Reply to
MikrHunt2

I have $500.00 deductible. I doubt it that the damge would be more than that. I also want to keep the peace in the neigborhood. If I have to start implicating people (the neighbors 7 year old kid did it by accident) then the insurance company will undoubtedly hassle the kid's family. I don't want that. If it was vandalism, that would be a different story.

Got some touchup piant today. Looks like I can do a pretyy decent job fixing it. I tried using a opti-visor 2.5x magnifier while I was painting. Comes out a lot better when you can see what your doing close up.

msterspy

You probably have a $500 deductible on collision, and $150 on comprehensive. This would be a comprehensive claim, and you don't have to implicate anyone. When my car was "keyed", I got it fixed. I never named names, I wasn't even sure where is happened.

In another year or two, it won't look as good. If my 2005 Escape got scratched, I'd get it fixed. A proper repair on my car was to repaint to the nearest visual break. side to side, that was a full door, top to bottom it was the bottom of the door and a bumper strip.

Reply to
dold

That sounds like a pretty good method to me.

I would surround the area with 2" masking tape, leaving only the smallest scratch area uncovered.

Reply to
Petey the Wonder Dog

Are you sure? That sounds more like a collision coverage deductible. A larger deductible, $500 v $250, can save you money on collision coverage but the difference in premium between $500 and zero deductible on comprehensive is only a few dollars annually, like $20. I pay less than $150 annually for comprehensive coverage on two 2005 vehicles, and one is a convertible.

mike hunt

msterspy wrote:

Reply to
BenDover

many companies will cancel comprehensive coverage after 3 claims in less than 5 years. Keep that in mind if you're planning on making a claim.

Reply to
Some ga

Which insurance companies are they that cancel for non at fault claims?

mike hunt

Some ga wrote:

Reply to
BigJohnson

State Farm, Allstate, ING, etc, etc, etc, Give your broker a shout and mention to him that you've heard of people making more than 3 comp claims a year and see if he's surprised that they get dropped..

Your state may vary but it won't be labeled as cancelling it will be that the coverage is no longer offered.

In No Fault states if people get in too many not at fault accidents they may even be non-renewed or have their rates jump. Having seen individuals with excessive not at fault claims (there was a guy up in Canada who got in close to 200 not at faults in one year (all rental vehicles) you can understand the insurance companies concerns.

With comp claims (yes even though they are not at fault) they still count. A claim is a claim is a claim. If you're going to claim, make it worth everyone's time.

Reply to
Some ga

You bring up a good point. I recently changed to Amica Insurance in Welsley MA and I signed up for a $500 deductible. I will contact them and get a price on lower deductible. It won't do any good for my scratch. Although I'm ticked about the scratch, there's no way I'm going to have the whole door painted for a 1/2" x .002" scratch. I will touch it up the best I can and forget it. The car will be in my possesion for about 10 years and I'm sure that it will get several dings form random flying rocks on the road and people in shopping malls who don't care about other peoples property. Again thanks for the heads up on comprehensive insurance cost

msterspy