Touch-up paint?

I bought a little tube of touch up paint at the MB Dealer for $26. It is a gray metallic for bumper trim. Numbers are correct but the match is not very good. Too dark. (1998 C230). Has anyone else had problems with correct match? Thanks.

Larry

Reply to
Larry

try shaking it longer, the paint may have separated.

Bernard

Reply to
Bernard farquart

Had a similar issue with a scratch on the rear bumper cover on my 95 SL320. It appears that the clear coat makes it appear darker. I wiped off the bad touch up job with thinner right away and used only the basic grey metallic touch up paint. It looked like a better match. After a few months you can't tell it has been touched up. Peter

Reply to
Peter W Peternouschek

UV exposure and fading issues?

Reply to
PC Paul

Hi,

I had the same problem, and it turned out that I did not shake the tube well enough to properly suspend the metallic particles in the paint. When you keep shaking it for several minutes, the colour lightens, and it should match the vehicles original paint when ready.

Regards,

Ed Barron

Reply to
Ed Barron

No touch up paint can match perfectly... the main reason is UV... slight fading.

Reply to
Tiger

There are two anthracite grey metallic paint colors. The old one from 1955 to 1998 has a touch of green to it. The newer grey paint has a touch of blue in it.

Perhaps you bought the old color grey paint? Take the paint, and your VIN number, back to the dealer.

-Jack

Reply to
Jack Stafford