changing the engine in my rickman ranger from a ford kent to a ford pinto

Hi guys,

I am trying to find the information to allow me to restore our old Rickman Ranger to its former glory. We need to know how difficult it is to change the old ford kent engine for a ford pinto one? and do you know what modifications it requires??

it would be an amazing help if you could assist me in anyway

thank you

Catherine

Reply to
catmonkey

"catmonkey" wrote

I'm guessing it would be a fairly straightforward swap as Pinto engines are fairly compact but here

would probably be a better place to ask.

Only just sold my 2 litre Pinto- engined Sierra a couple of months back too..........

Reply to
Knight Of The Road

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "catmonkey" saying something like:

Ford engines of that generation were easily swappable, with the proviso you'd have all the ancillaries available and any necessary mounts, flywheel, clutch bits etc to hand.

It used to be easy.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Reply to
catmonkey

It'll bolt straight up to your existing gearbox, although if you're running the 4-speed, now's a good time to change to the 5-speed "Type9".

It might go straight in, but then it might stick up through the bonnet a few inches, the Pinto is very tall and very heavy. Get your tape-measure out :)

Engine mounts are totally different.

Post on

you'll be welcomed, and there isn't a more knowledgable group when it comes to Ford RWD installs :) I'd be suprised if there's not someone on there who's done exactly the same swap in the same car.

BTW What's wrong with your Kent engine ?

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Would be easier to list what's right with it, I'd have thought ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

OK, let me rephrase that then ;)

"What's so wrong with your Kent engine that you're thinking of replacing it with a boat anchor ?"

Better ? :)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

cheers for the advise people :-)

had a mark 5 cortina years ago and i am just toying with an idea of changing it because pinto engine parts are more readily available.

as for the kent we think it might be a valve but we have got a spare one to replace. we just wanted some advise about what move we should make. can you shed any light?

cather>> so do you think that it would just go straight in? and do you know if i >> would

Reply to
catmonkey

TBH if your Kent engine is fixable, I'd be tempted to stick with it.

The Pinto is a big heavy engine and although it's a simple swap, it's not as simple as an oil change ;). I have a Kent engine in a small and light car and it's great (if oily), but I don't know what your Ranger runs like with such a small engine in it. If it's seriously underpowered then I'd go for the Pinto, but TBH it's gonna be a fair bit of work to swap, and when you've done you've still got an "old" technology engine under the bonnet.

If it was me I'd run the old engine until it died, then replace it with a Zetec (which is more or less my current plan) :)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Should be straightforward EXCEPT for the sump, iirc you have an escort crossmember, the pinto sump will foul, but you can either cut and shut the sump or cut and shut the crossmember or buy a very expensive special sump.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Even better than that, hold off for a Duratec. (a proper alloy block one, not a Duratec badged Zetec).

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Good plan, but the bolt pattern on the Duratec doesn't match up to the standard gearboxs, so it'll be more money for a bellhousing ;(

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

That's true. Get the V6 then :)

Reply to
Sandy Nuts

Do you recommend that i go to Rickman for for the engine mounts or will the Pinto or Kent mounts work?

thank you cather>> Hi guys,

Reply to
catmonkey via CarKB.com