Windshield Wiper Question

About a month ago my winshield wipers went a little screwy on my 98 Ford Contour. Whenever I push the arm down a little to do a single wipe, it'll stop whenever I let go of the arm. If I try to put it onto the first automatic (slowest) setting, it'll only go halfway up my windshield before stopping. It'll resume it's course after the appropriate time has passed. I have no problems on the second automatic setting (fastest). Now when I try to clean my windshield by pushing the wiper arm towards me, the wipers will continue to run their course until I actually have to turn off my car.

What's going on here?! Thanks for any help.

Reply to
somabrandmayonaise

Is your wiper control on the turn signal stalk? Many Fords have trouble with the Multi-Function Switch (wipers, signals, flashers) that act kinda like what you are experiencing. Does jiggling the switch make a difference?

PoD

Reply to
Paul of Dayton

There is a set of contacts inside the wiper motor that are supposed to open every time the wipers are at the bottom of their stroke, so the arm stops in the parked position - when you pull the stalk for one swipe, those contacts are supposed to keep the motor running till it gets to the next park point.

Sounds like those park contacts either have gone open electrically, or the cam is worn so they aren't working mechanically.

How that messes up the automatic three-swipe clean cycle is beyond me, unless it's a separate electrical box counting two swipes by that park switch and then releasing so the motor stops after the third.

But since the park switch it's looking to for the count pulses is broken, it sits there going "One - Okay where's two? Still waiting for pass two..." (Myself, I'd just use a simple timer.)

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Yes, wiper control is on the turn signal stalk. No, jiggling the switch doesn't make a difference.

Reply to
somabrandmayonaise