2001 Focus 1.9 Turbo Diesel Fuel Consumption?

Hi,

I have an early 2001 Focus 1.9 Turbo Diesel (non common rail). I was wondering what fuel consumption other people were getting from similar models?

I am getting between 36 and 44 MPG on a tank full depending upon journeys, generally about 40 MPG for my normal trip to and from work. It seems a little low to me. If it is thought to be low any suggestions as to what to check?

Thanks, BraileTrail

Reply to
David M. Smith

That's pretty good... I'd be happy with it!

Reply to
Tony Sutton

In alt.autos.ford.focus Tony Sutton :

What does the manual say?

Totally agree, driving a 2l petrol (manual) even if it remains unclear if those are mpg (Imperial) or mpg (US)?

mpg(Imperial) mpg(US) l/100km =======================================

36 29.9 7.8 40 33.3 7.0 44 36.6 6.4 43.2 36 6.5 48 40 5.8 52.8 44 5.3

Never got better then 8.1 l/100km (29 mpg(US) - 34.8 mpg(Imperial)), though haven't really tried that hard.

There are many things concerning fuel usage, IMHO two of the most overlooked: Complete dirty air filter and to low tire air pressure (10-20% more then stated in the manual (unloaded) usually do a good job for better fuel usage if you don't mind losing a little comfort). Just make sure to check/adjust it regularly, once a month or so.

Now if you guys would just use SI units, that would certainly ease up things tremendously. ;-)

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Thanks for the comments guys.

My first mistake was that it's actually a 1.8 not 1.9. Doesn't make much difference, but... I also think it is the 90 PS model rather than the 75 PS.

Second mistake was I forgot to say I was talking about imperial gallons.

In message , Michael Heiming writes

Good po Urban equivalent : 39.2 Non-urban equivalent: 62.8 Total : 51.4

I guess "Total" means a combination of Urban and Non-urban driving, pretty much my typical week. So I should be looking at 50 MPG, a little more than the 40 MPG that I am getting.

My driving style is light footed, in the past I have always exceeded the published MPG figures for the previous cars I have owned. That's why I am a bit concerned about the Focus.

My last Ford was a 1991 Granada hatchback with the 2.0 litre DOHC petrol engine. Not sure what that model was called in the US or if it was even available, but it was a big heavy car. I had the car for 10 years and when I sold it with 265,000 miles on the clock it was regularly returning 36 to 38 MPG. That was overall the best car I have ever owned.

OK, will adjust the tyre pressures and check the air filter.

How come you guys use the same distance measure as us (miles) but made your volume measure smaller?

Thanks, BraileTrail

Reply to
David M. Smith

My 2001 1.8 90PS 5 door Zetec does just over 11 miles per litre. If my maths are correct that is just over 50MPG (Imperial). If my wife borrows it she gets more like 55MPG.

Graham

Reply to
GO