94 Ford with 1.9L engine load tap/bang when cold only-what can I to do?

94 Ford with 1.9L engine load tap/bang when cold only-what can I to do? I had this car (1994 Ford Escort) for two months and now that the temperatures are around the 40's the 1.9L engine (at least it sounds like it is coming from inside the engine) is tapping when the engine is cold (only 40 degrees will do it). The sound can be quite loud if I try to drive the car when it is cold. Idling out of gear is usually OK when cold, it is mainly if I place the car under load by putting in gear and giving it gas that the banging gets much worse. What is the best remedy for such a problem. Thank You in advance.
Reply to
Hwsw49