AC and Engine Stall

I own a 2001 Focus SE 4DR. Was happy with the vehicle (despite squealing brakes) until May of this year. When I run the A/C, the car stalls repeatedly. No A/C, it runs fine.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions for a fix?

Six months ago, I was a happy Focus owner. Now I am scared of this car. I will not allow my 18 yr old to drive it. I am documenting everything in the event that someone is injured as a result of defects in this vehicle.

Reply to
datagirl62

No.

And that does help? Why not bring your Focus down to the next Ford Dealer and ask them to fix the problem without ripping you off?

Reply to
Michael Heiming

He may answer but here's an observation. Stalling & not starting doesn't qualify the car as a "death-trap". If the car didn't crank the day it wouldn't start, loosen & remove the battery connection terminals. Thoroughly clean the connectors and the battery posts. Reassemble with light grease. The A/C stalling could be fixed by a competent Ford/Lincoln-Mercury dealership. I'd suggest you find a different one since you obviously don't trust your current one. In the end, it sounds a lot like you won't be happy whatever the outcome. Time to trade?

Reply to
Zip Disk

I'd call this a rip-off and would have looked for another dealer soon.

Don't know why this should be a death-trap? Look for another dealer who fixes the problem for a reasonable price.

Good luck

Reply to
Michael Heiming

Does it only stall when coming to a stop? If so, sounds like the idle needs adjusted or maybe a good throttle body cleaning. Just a thought.

David Short

Reply to
Acura God

A most likely cause of this stalling: the engine idle needs to be raised when the engine is under load or cold...if not, a load like the AC compressor can stall it. This is accomplished by the idle air bypass valve. It is a solenoid valve (electrical) that is controlled by the computer. It adds air to the engine intake - same as if you opened the throttle plate. It is possible that yours is defective, needs cleaning or is not getting the proper signal. Unforunately, at least in the Zetec, it is in a very inconvenient location...lower part of intake manifold. You may have to get it from underneath. I have not had to remove mine yet.

This problem can happen to different cars and is no reason to be afraid of yours. It is not a common Focus problem, from what I hear. Get it fixed.

Gary

Reply to
Gary

Thanks for taking time to suggest a fix. Will post a follow-up.

Reply to
datagirl62