Bent transmission housing

2005 Focus automatic (ZXW wagon). Symptom = horrid scraping noise in reverse, although car otherwise reverses OK Probable cause = driving past road works, I drove over a heap of gravel higher than expected, sufficient to lift the nose of the car perceptibly. Diagnosis by Guess: I think the transmission housing has been dented (bent upwards) so that (only when in reverse gear) the flywheel scrapes the housing. (Heavy rain today so I would need a wet suit to inspect the site.)
  1. How difficult is it to remove the lower part of the transmission housing, in order to beat it out hollow (cf. 5 years' wear and rust)?
  2. If the part must be replaced, is it expensive?
Reply to
Don P

I would call Car Talk and ask them. They are better at answering this sort of question.

Reply to
dr_jeff

My 2007 wagon has a cast aluminum oil pan and looks like a stamped steel transmission cover which looks easy to remove. The oil pan is a few inches lower than the transmission.

Jim

Reply to
jamesd43081