ZTW cabin filter missing?

Hi there. I currently own a 2003 ZTS which has the cabin filter. I am in the process of purchasing a used 2003 ZTW. While checking the vehicle out I noticed that it did not have a cabin filter present but instead had a perforated plastic "cover" over the opening where the filter is housed on the ZTS.

Q. Is this normal for the ZTW? I was under the impression that the cars would be identical.

Any help would be appreciated.

Reply to
Timothy

Most of the SE and ZTW did not come with the filter.

Reply to
GotCoffee

In message , Tim wrote

Ford were only saving money on the lower range cars by not fitting a filter. It's up to you if you want to fit one.

Be aware that if you don't fit the filter cover properly you will get water into passenger side foot well the next time it rains :(

Reply to
Alan

Just to add some feedback. I went ahead and purchased the ZTW.

As for the cabin filter bit....

I removed the "perforated cover" that was basically a device to protect the fan from any large objects. This cover is not present on the ZTS and the filter is left to do this job. Once this was done the design is the same as for the ZTS so I could put in a filter as normal.

Can't understand why Ford would go through the expense and hassle of designing and then putting this extra piece of plastic so that they could save the expense of the filter.

Reply to
Tim

It's all about marketing. The Focus was designed in Europe. In the United States it is marketed as an economy car. It would not do for an economy car to have an "upscale" feature such as a cabin filter as standard equipment. It might tend to blur the distinction between low and medium cost automobiles. Hence, the plastic place holder in the US sold Focus.

***
Reply to
Frog Legs

What's it considered over there? (No links to streaming video of any commercials, please -- I'm on a dialup. )

Reply to
Blinky the Shark

Assuming you mean in Europe, to give you some idea there are two model ranges smaller than the Focus here. IOW, the Focus is third from smallest in the range. There are quite a few similar sized and specced cars from the East that sell at lower prices.

It is generally seen as a reasonable quality product with better than average reliability. Whether that's due to marketing or is deserved is a matter of opinion. I think the Focus in Europe is one of Ford's best efforts so far, and it seems lots of owners agree with me.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Yes. Two regions were specifically mentioned in the paragraph to which I responded, and it was already stated that it was marketed as an economy car in the US; that only left Europe as the logical subject for my question.

We have smaller cars here in the US, as well. I think of the Focus as a member of the compact class and the smaller ones as subcompacts -- so I was surprised to see the Focus labeled a subcompact, recently. I can't remember where I saw that reference, but I'm pretty sure it was a USan source.

They seem to be pretty popular over here, as well.

For the record, I purchased a 2003 Focus sedan in November. It was my first automobile buy since 1983, when I got the Triumph that I retired when I brought home the Ford. I had to learn all over again how to shop for cars, after 22 years. :)

Reply to
Blinky the Shark