Focus C-max write-down resume

Short resume from:

The tests on snow and ice were plain chocking. Ford Focus C-max is so dangerous it should not be allowed on public roads. C-max skids with the rear end already on dry paved roads. This is unique. On gravel roads it gets worse, and on winter roads the skidding is manifold. C-max is the most easy skidding car made in the last 25 years, maybe with the exception of Mercedes A-classe. Mercedes A-classe was not correctly designed, but with C-max the problems exists because of too over enthusiastic chassis designers. They have deliberately made the car "on the edge". Not even the electronic antiskid system ESP, that Ford has decided to include as standard, will neutralize the problems. The ESP cuts in too late, so the fun of driving won't become clouded. Therefore the car is allowed to skid substantially before the ESP is activated. And then, a soft engagement is not enough. It bangs brutally when the brake system locks the outer front wheel. It brakes so forcefully that the car gets a heavy return skid, which in its turn has to be taken care of by the ESP. Two return skids are not unusual with active driving on winter roads, I was experiencing times with three return skids, which is totally unacceptable for a family car. One could easily think that Ford is playing a cynical game, where the auto journalists are willing fellow travellers. By making the car extremely fun to drive, the test marks and grades will be high, and this can be used for marketing purposes. But C-max is sold to ordinary families with children, and they really want a safe and secure car, but are getting deceived to buying something that hardly can be handled in normal everyday driving. Ford Focus C-max is based on the same platform as the new Volvo S40 and Mazda 3, but only C-max has the dangerous road manners. Stop the manufacturing and fix the car. If nothing is done, serious accidents will happen, and the liability will fall heavy on Ford.

Reply to
per

Hi per

I assume that yours is the translation. Is it a word for word or does it really read that bad in Swedish as well? If it is correct then the C-Max does seem to have a few problems. The only thing is I have seen nothing else like it in terms of reports else where.

Regards

Andy Lee

Reply to
Andy Lee

Yes, it's my translation. Sort of word for word. Just shortened quite a bit. And it's even worse when you read the whole story. It's from Swedens largest evening newspaper. Fords first response was: "We looked at it again today, and it fulfills all safety regulations". I guess the car is doomed, at least in Sweden, if they do nothing really fast. Swedish journalists almost killed the Mercedes A-classe a few years ago with the so called "moose test", a slalom test; right lane to left lane to right lane, where the car tripped over. Mercedes named that a "Moose Test", in order to make it sound unimportant for other countries that have no moose. I would rather call that an "avoid child running after ball" test though. A realistic "moose test" would be running the car into a 500 kg object 1m above ground. Swedish car maufacturers (read Volvo and Saab) do such realistic moose tests. Anyway, Mercedes tried to talk themselves out if it first, attacking the journalist and such stunts. But eventually had to mount the active stabilization and harder springs and shocks as recall on all cars. And then release the longer version earlier than planned. I presume this C-max test report (first printed friday 20) will give echoes in other European car press soon enough. /per

Reply to
per

"per" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@news.wineasy.se...

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Hello to the both of you,

I have been driving mine for three months now and I think it is one of the best cars I have ever had.It is also fun to drive,now I don't have such bad wethercircumstances as in the Scandinavian countries but I wonder.Like Andy I did 't read anywhere something negative about the car.In the Netherlands everybody is thrilled and excited and in the latest test by the ANWB( independant and reknown,an authority on cars and safety) the CMax came out second best after Volkswagen.So I am very curious and will be awaiting further news. By the way,mine is a First Edition 1800 cc.

Good luck and CU

Pim.

Reply to
Pim Luchtmeijer

Not only ANWB gave good results. Another magazine, Autovisie, gave it the best notes. First, before VW and the new Renault Scenic. So awaiting till this news arrives to the press overhere.

Harrie

Reply to
Johoo

In message , Johoo writes

Don't forget the Merc A class had good press reviews until the Scandinavians put it through the moose test.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Hi, I was awaiting the arrival of the (Focus) C-Max with eager anticipation but I was extremely underwhelmed when I saw it in the flesh. This was not helped by my local Ford dealer's inability to make a telephone call to me to tell me that I could have a test drive. I went into the dealer 3 times and still they couldn't manage to ring me. Pathetic. (This is just to let everyone know that I have NOT driven said vehicle - despite trying to). 2 other dealers didn't have one and they didn't really seem interested (one took a week and a half to ring me back when he said he would be back to me tomorrow+ACE- When I called him back, the phone just rung out and no-one answered). Anyway, enough of car sales people who don't seem to want to sell cars. Apart from the high position of the seats (which was one of the reasons I was awaiting the Cmax) I think that the styling is very boring. Even the Galaxy looks more stylish (in my eyes of course). The other thing which put me off was the price. It was just too much to pay for the advantages over the +ACI-ordinary+ACI- focus. Now this doubt about the handling. I have just got the Telegraph Motoring email and there is a feature on the new Mazda 3 which is based (with the Volvo S40 etc) on the +ACI-new+ACI- Focus floorpan. The report is at

(I did start to quote from it but of course it is covered by copyright but it mentions being let down by skittish handling, attempts to breakaway when cornering only being saved by brutish efforts of the electronic stability package to stop the slide and descriptions of the handling as both

+ACI-tricky+ACI- and +ACI-excitable+ACI-).

Looks like Ford may be following Mercedes A class into a real Moose/Mess?????????????????

At least it says that on country roads the +ACI-old+ACI- Focus will eat the new car alive - methinks this doesn't bode well for the new Focus Justin Case

Reply to
Justin Case