Focus remote control key

This is a bit of a minor niggle, but it annoys me!

I have to put a new battery into the unit about every four months, this is the first car I have had which has had remote central locking so I don't really have anything to make a comparision against but it seems a bit too often to me.

I use it about four times a day to unlock/lock the car, most days. Is this typical battery life for a Ford remote key in anyones experience?

Reply to
Martin

I change my fob battery yearly as a precaution but it is still OK at that time.

I can only suggest making sure your replacements are from a reliable source and that the button(s) are not being accidentally pressed when in your pocket.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The battery I have just taken out (and put in) is a Panasonic, being a well known brand you would hope their batteries would be OK.

I don't really keep my keys in my pocket very much, at home I just leave them lying on my desk. At work I leave them on my desk. If I am at someones house I will probably put them down somewhere next to my phone (incredibly I never manage to misplace them), so I would be surprised if that was the reason the battery was running down quickly.

But at 2 quid a battery its not the end of the world, I was just curious to know if anyone else had noticed the same.

Martin

Reply to
Martin

My FOB is still on the orginal battery. Had my ZX5 since Jan 02.

Reply to
Michel Bernier

Hi Martin, My 1.8 Zetec is 4 years old in January and I am still on the original battery. I did used to use the key as a manual lock for about a year thinking that I would save the battery so the remote and therefore the battery was only used intermittently then. When I thought about it seriously, I decided that it would be easier and cheaper to change the battery than it would be to replace a worn lock and/or key. Not sure what battery is in there but it still works AOK from some distance away. I also have the keys in my pocket at all times, the key and the buttons are worn pretty smooth Cheers Justin

Reply to
Justin Case

"Martin" wrote

I'm in my fourth year and am still on my first battery. Something's wrong. Maybe you are putting pressure on the buttons when it's in your pocket?

Reply to
Dave Gower

I'd hazard a guess that your remote is defective or contaminated. Very small amounts of grease or other contaminates can reduce battery life in the manner you describe. You can clean it yourself thus:

Take it apart as though you were replacing the battery. Remove the circuit board and then the "rubber" keys. Dip the entire circuit board in 97% isopropyl alcohol (usually can be found in drug stores) and let it soak for several minutes. Swish it around thoroughly. Remove, shake and wait for the alcohol to evaporate from the circuit board (5 or 10 minutes). Check the "rubber" key pad for any "fuzz" or other contaminates. Remove as necessary. Put it all back together. If you try this, be *very* careful with handling the alcohol - it's *extremely* flammable.

Reply to
LitzWire

If you try this, be *very* careful with handling

Still, it's less flammable than the gasoline you spill around, filling the lawn mover up... /per

Reply to
per

Reply to
Big Man 7

I will soon be on my fifth year and still the first battery for the similar remote for my Ford Escort. I hope (and expect) that it will be a similar long life for the remote that came with my other car, a 2002 Focus.

(OT: The original car battery "just died" about 3 weeks ago on that Escort, while I was out driving it, but close to home. As it was actually a dark and stormy night, that was an exciting ride home, hoping the car would make it, watching the windshield wipers creeeeep across the windshield, seeing all the exterior lights go out and the emergency lights on the dashboard pop on one by one, as I headed home. Turned out to be the alternator had just gone belly up... )

The other suggestions from the group all seem good, particularly that the remote might have gotten crudded up on the inside, or that it's simply defective. My pockets are always full of stuff that could otherwise be depressing the already well-worn "open" button, but there are no apparent effects from that.

I'd upgrade your minor niggle to "moderate annoyance", Martin, but that's just me :) Best of luck with whatever solution chosen,

Dave (somewhat surprised that spellcheck recognizes "niggled" but not "niggle") B.

Reply to
David or Robin

I had a similar experience a few years ago when I had a 205. The alternator had gone so I switched off everythng I didn't actually need and started heading for home watching the lights get dimmer and hoping I would make it back, didn't quite make it home!!

It looks clean on the inside but I didn't want pull the cicuit board out so I can't be sure. I think it a defective fob. I will probably change the car next summer/autumn so that's only two more batteries at most, I think the bank balance can stand that one

Thanks for everyones comments!

Martin

Reply to
Martin