Help req. for snow chains

Hello everybody, For use in the french Alps (deep snow possible), i am looking for snow chains suitable for my FOCUS 195/60-15 tyres with alloy rims. None are advised by Ford, in fact it is written not possible to install in Focus manual. Solution could be SPIKES SPIDER sport, but not available here in france. Any other suggestion ? Thanks.

Reply to
Blackbird

I couldn't find any chains to fit these tyres (check out the chain identifier on

on my 1.6 UK Zetec focus so I swapped to 185/65-14 on 14 inch steel rims. Try your local Ford dealer or Norauto, etc.

Cheers

Proper Snow chains that fit all over the wheel inc the side walls should NEVER be fitted to Alloy wheels because they will damage the rims etc only fit a type reccommended for Alloys (if they exist) The other posters suggestion is by far the better idea nad pick up some steel wheels and fit the chains to them. These acan be found easily enough and relatively cheap. Most Canadian who I know of fit steel wheels for the winter as a matter of course but there again they don't have to go to the Alps to find snow in winter.

Andy Lee

Reply to
Andy Lee

I agree. I have the same setup in Switzerland. The tires are slightly undersized, which gives better clearance to avoid ripping up your wheelwells should a chain come slightly loose. Don't use chains on alloy wheels.

Also, are you looking for chains to make a set of summer tires somewhat winter capable for rare trips into the Alps, or do you already have winter tires in the 195/60-15? If you don't have winter tires, you will be buying false security with chains on summer tires, as all the Dutch and Germans learn when they come to the Swiss Alps and try the same. You will get stuck, or you will spin off the road the first time you touch the brakes on a snowy, downhill corner. If the temperature where you live is on average less than 7°C in the winter, regardless of whether or not there is snow, do yourself a favour and get winter tires. It has been proven and demonstrated very well on various car shows that a winter compound tire, at temperatures as high as 7°C and on dry pavement, outperforms a summer performance tire in braking.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen F.

Hi I agree also. In addition, the winter tires will cost you nothing on the long run. Mostly they are smaller and therefor cheaper as the summer tires. A complete set of winter tires on steel wheels is often the same price as the summer tires alone. And while you drive on the winter tires, there is no wearing of the summer tires. Therefore the winter tires will cost you nothing in effect if you hold on to your car for about 4 to 5 years.

And every little accident with some "new designed" edges of your car will be more expensive also. bye Jupp

Reply to
Josef Erbs

You would be amazed at the number of people in Canada who couldn't figure out this simple economical logic. I was always told I was an idiot to buy two sets of tires, when one set of "all-season" tires would do the job! I just smiled as I drove around all the idiots who were stuck in the slushy Ottawa snow, even with my light, rear-wheel drive cars.

All-season = no-season

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen F.

Thanks to all for your advices and experience. Thinking of getting in the Alps by train... No, more seriously, il think i will get steel wheels and a set of winter tyres. But the SPIKES SPIDER approach was elegant, although very expensive (about 300 Euros).

Reply to
Blackbird

And your 300 Euros will get you most of the way to a good set of winter tires and wheels. I paid 680 CHF for the wheels with Michelin Alpins, and Switzerland is known for high prices.

To make you feel better, I can't count the number of Mercedes drivers I have seen over the years going nowhere with their Spikes Spiders... They are rather useless.

Stephen

Reply to
Stephen F.

This is very interesting. I wonder whether those "non-idiots" wear the same shoes throughout the year??

Reply to
TheSurgeon

may be your solution for about 90 ?

Bye

Reply to
Pi

No! This gadget is absolutely useless. Every major automotive testing group has nothing but bad things to say about the "sock".

------------ And now a word from our sponsor ------------------ For a quality usenet news server, try DNEWS, easy to install, fast, efficient and reliable. For home servers or carrier class installations with millions of users it will allow you to grow!

---- See

----

Reply to
Stephen F.

"Stephen F." escribió en el mensaje news:41a47adc$ snipped-for-privacy@news.unibe.ch...

Audi, VW, Renault, BMW and more offers this "gadget" in their shops. My Ford local dealer has the autosock too (90 eur) I´m sure that winter tyres are better for some countries or regions where the snow remains for three or more months. But for a occasional snow or a ski travel is a great solution, i think.

Reply to
Pi

And numerous tests have shown that it only offers *some* assistance in driving away from a standstill. Sort of the same as putting some sand or a carpet under your tires. It will do nothing for braking, steering, or traction once you are moving at more than about 5kph. For 90 EUR you can buy a proper set of chains...

Reply to
Stephen F.