Winter tires for Sorento

Fall is in the air and that means winter is not far behind. For those of us in the snowier parts of North America, that also means snow tires.

Which brands and models of snow tires do people recommend for the Kia? Toyo, Michelin, Bridgestone, Goodyear, ...

Would any P245 70 R16 winter tire from any of the top tier manufacturers be acceptable?

I've done some searching and found very little info, probably because it is such a new car.

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
Tim Lapin

I don't have an answer for you but am interested in this thread. I recently got a Sedona EX and am looking for good snow tires. It takes P215/70R15 size tires. Any insight on winter studded tires would be appreciated.

Brian Brand> Fall is in the air and that means winter is not far behind. For those of us

Reply to
BB

I was looking for the same thing, here a collection of what I have found.

Last year the OEAMTC (Austrian Automobil Touring Club, similar to the German ADAC) has tested several wintertires for the 4x4 SUV in the size 235/70 R 16, similar to the Sorento's 245/70 R16.

Here is a link:

Hope that the German text is not a big problem. Trocken = Dry; Nass = Wet; Schnee = Snow; Eis = Ice; Komfort = Comfort; Aussengeraeusch = Autside Noise; Rollwiderstand = Rolling Resistance; smaller numbers are better.

The winners are: Continental 4x4 Winter Contact (T); Michelin 4x4 Alpin (S); Pirelli Scorpion Ice+Snow (T). All these come in the size of 245/70 R 16.

Unfortunately they didn't test the Bridgestone Winter Dueler DM-Z2, which is also available in P245/70R16 and wins a test by Tire Rack. It's grip on ice seems to be unreached and the only drawback is treadwear on dry road. Here the link:

This year there is a new Bridgestone Winter Dueler DM-Z3, don't know about any tests or reviews of it and if it will be available in 245/70 R16.

Over here in Austria good winter tires are a must, especially for a vehicle weighing over 2 tons! ;-)

Cheers Josef

Reply to
Josef

This is similar to what I've now found:

Bridgestone Dueler Michelin Alpin Pirelli Toyo Observe GP-4

My garage recommended Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Grip as well. After finding what little there is to find in the way of recommendations, I've decided to put them at the bottom of my list. The top spot on my list is currently occupied by the Michelin Alpin 4x4.

The cost will be high, though. I could have the Goodyears for $143.00 CDN while the same garage will sell me the Michelins for $180.00. The odd number for the Goodyears sounds like a sale price to me but I'll have to ask some more.

BTW, the German was no problem, once I had your explanations on the more unusual words.

Reply to
Tim Lapin

While I am still waiting for the tire manufacturers Bridgestone, Continental and Micheline to write back about the exact dimensions of their winter tires I have a tendency towards the Micheline 4x4 Alpine too:

It seems to be bigger, with larger circumvent and wider section width, than other tires of the same specifications 245/70 R 16.

I will not look at the price, safety comes first, IMHO.

Good luck!

Josef

Reply to
Josef