Newbie Focus Owner !

Hi all,

I've previously owned 7 Fords in nearly 30 years and, with one exception, have been very happy with them. I will shortly be taking delivery of my 8th - a "nearly new" UK Focus (with 1.6 Zetec petrol engine) and would be very grateful for some advice...

The car will have to be "dealer serviced" for the remainder of the manufacturer's warranty (nearly 2 years), and the "recommended service interval" is, I believe, 12,000 miles / 12 months. I prefer more frequent oil changes (on the basis that oil is cheaper than a new engine !) so would like to do my own "interim" oil change after 6,000 miles (Shell semi-synthetic plus, of course, a Motorcraft filter !) ... does anyone know if such a "home" oil change will do anything nasty to the engine management system ? eg: will it detect a "non standard" oil change and demand I take it back to a Ford dealer for a diagnostic check aka "laptop therapy" ?

I hesitate to ask this question of my Ford dealer because I know they will insist their service schedules are OK !

Thanks in advance Tom

Reply to
Tom

In message , Tom wrote

The engine management system will detect the oil change in exactly the same way as your first Ford car did 30 years ago

Reply to
Alan

A good plan. My '00 Zetec came with 10k service intervals (later increased to 12.5k as per your car) I perform 5k oil and filter changes.

The ECU won;t have a clue that you changed the oil, the only being who will know is you.

Do be sure to use the correct viscosity oil though- 5w-30. You probably won't have valve stick problems with the 1.6 if don't, but your mpg will drop quite noticably.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM.

Tim , Alan ,

Thanks very much for the advice, 5K oil changes it is then ! - and when I first get under the car I might even treat the underside to some Waxoyl before autumn !!

Cheers Tom

Reply to
Tom

In message , Tom wrote

Reply to
Alan

Congrats on your purchase and good luck.

Reply to
Raider Rick