Replace steering wheel?

I am seriously considering replacing the steering wheel on our 2002 UK Estate because the leather covering is now very rough in a couple of places, but I am looking for some feedback and advice.

  1. Can I expect to transfer the airbag from the old steering wheel to a new wheel without any compatibility issues? I know the procedure to follow to do the safe removal and replacement of the airbag - but do I have to ensure that the replacement wheel is "airbag compatible" in some sense?

  1. A local eBay trader has "brand new" Ford Focus steering wheels at 25 GBP against the dealer price of about 132 GBP plus VAT. Should I go for the eBay option?

  2. Is there a better solution than replacing the steering wheel? None of the universal steering wheel covers that we have seen in Halfords appeal to us, but could the original leather covering be replaced?

Thanks for any advice.

John

Reply to
John Barnes
1)the air bag should swap over with no problems providing that the wheels are same

2)ask the seller wot year its from as the air bags might be different and might not fit(as above)and study the photo carefully

3)no the leather is stitched on by the manufactures and you carnt buy separatly
Reply to
ford_technical_