03 F150 Underdash Light

Hi

Bought a new 2003 F150 last fall. Love the truck except for one thing - at night the floor in front of the seat is completely dark. I have an organizer there on the hump with coins/bridge tokens, etc in it. Can't see to find what I'm looking for, especially while driving.

Bought a light that plugs into the cigar lighter that does the job but it's always powered - have to push in to turn it on/pull out to turn it off. If you forget to pull it out of the power supply, it stays on even if the truck is off. I'm thinking about wiring something under the dash permanently. Should be something that is only powered when the key is on but can be turned on/off with an easily assessable, discrete-looking switch.

Anyone have ideas about the best solution for this type of thing? I assume there are kits made exactly for this purpose??? Is there a web site that explains the best way to wire such a light/switch? I've never done this type of thing before and would like to find a diagram that explains fully (read "to a dummy!) how this is done.

Thanks

Keith

Reply to
Krow

I am trying to do something very similar.

My thoughts are to find the part number to some actual Ford underdash courtesy lights. So far, I haven't found anyone who knows that info. :( I just think that using actual Ford lights will keep the "look" right.

However, once I get the Ford lights, I believe I can wire them up by connecting them up to the existing dome/internal lights. Usually, this is a green with orange stripe wire. This way, the underdash courtesy lights will come 'on' when ever the doors are opened, and can manually turned 'on' with the existing dash switch too.

Aga> Anyone have ideas about the best solution for this type of thing? I

Reply to
Walt