1987 f150 transmission oil mix with motor oil??

Here is a weird one. I went to change the oil on my 4.9 6cylinder with automatic transmission f150. I had about 10 quarts of oil in it?? My transmission fluid was down about 2 quarts? What on earth is going on? Can my transmission fluid even go into my engine oil?? Thanks:)

Reply to
:

Not only do the oils never mix, they go in through entirely different holes that are next to impossible to confuse. If you are confused by the fill holes, you should be paying somebody to do this job.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Doesn't sound like he is confused about the fill holes, sounds like he was saying when I changed my engine oil it was way over full, and the tranny was 2 quarts low, is there some way for them to swap fluids?

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

A combination of a blown head gasket and rotted tranny cooler would do it, but I'd think he'd have noticed other issues :)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Hello, Thanks for the reply. I am going to keep an eye on it and see if this happens again. How about a bad rear main seal? Would that allow trans fluid into the engine oil? Thanks again:)

Reply to
:

Transmission fluid and motor oil never mix unless the wrong fill hole is used. Period.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Yes, the whole tranny bellhousing would have to fill with oil before it could even think about forcing it way past rear main seal into engine and if bellhousing was full of oil you would know it because if it ran it would be slinging out oil everwhere.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:45:22 -0400, :\) :\) rearanged some electrons to form:

No. However, it would make a nice oily spot on your driveway.

Reply to
david m

I can't even figure out what your problem is! You are talking about both the engine and transmission without enough punctuation for me to know when the subject is changing.

What had 10qt of oil in it? The engine? That's not possible, the oil pan capacity is only about 6 quarts when it is off the engine and sitting on your bench. If filled to 6 or 7 while on the engine, the crankshaft will hit the top of the oil and churn it into a serious foam bath. I've never tried, but I think that if the crankcase was filled to 10 quarts, the pistons would not even go down and the motor would hydro-lock

There is no direct path for the oil to flow between the engine and transmission. The two are sealed from each other, and before they would mix, they would spill over to the outside and leave a mess in your driveway. And, with 10 quarts of oil in the engine, I have to think that a mess in the driveway should have happened already.

.
Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Please, let's not confuse the issue. The answer is definitely no, without question. The 10 quarts of oil got into the engine from the fill hole, or else half of it was really water.

Reply to
Joe

No. There's no way to get transmission fluid into the engine.

Reply to
Joe

Don't worry about it. It was clear enough to most of us to give an answer. He missspelled "It" and just used "I". Once you make that change, all the subjects and predicates fall right into line. Punctuation, while wrong, is in the right place.

This post could practically win an award for the use of complete sentences.

Reply to
Joe

Thanks to everyone for clarifying the issue. I have come to one conclusion. Last time the oil was changed they must have put way too much oil in it or the "pit" guy never pulled the plug and top guy filled the oil and never checked the dipstick... I have changed it myself now and will keep an eye on it. Thanks again to everyone!! :)Nel

Reply to
: