1987 Ford Ranger quit running Please Help

Hi:

Last night I was driving and doing around 60 mph when all of the sudden my Ranger just quit. The engine just shut down and I coasted in neutral. It still turns over so I know it has power. My guess is that it has something to do with the fuel system. Any suggestions would be helpful. It is a 1987 Ranger with a 2.9 L engine 4X4 Thanks,

Tim in Indiana

Reply to
Big T.

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:25:00 -0500, Big T. rearranged some electrons to form:

Check TFI module on distributor.

Reply to
David M

check for spark first

if no, replace module in distributor

if yes, check fuel pressure, there is a test port on the fuel rail

you have 2 fuel pumps, one in the tank (low pressure) and one on the frame rail right under the driver's seat (high pressure)

Reply to
TranSurgeon

That recently happened to my 89 Escort ZX2 1.9L DOHC. I know it's a different engine, etc. but the symptoms were the same. Just quit running, cranks OK, good spark and fuel press. It was the timing belt. It took out the cam sprocket also. $850. Most dealers don't stock the cam sprocket and have to order it from Ford.

Big T. wrote:

Reply to
M_L_News

Timing Belt!

Big T. snipped-for-privacy@kconline.com wrote in article snipped-for-privacy@kconline.com...

Reply to
TomC

good luck finding a timing belt on a 2.9, Braniac

Reply to
TranSurgeon

I think what he meant was: "tighten your belt!".

lol

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader