1989 F250 buzzes when I try to start it

My (recently purchased) 1989 F250 Diesel frequently "buzzes" when I try to start it. Sometimes it just turns over and fires up as normal, but at other times it makes this loud buzzing noise over and over again without starting up.

If I keep turning the key, it seems, sooner or later it will stop the noise and start the engine. But it seems to be a random thing. Could be the third try - or the hundredth.

Does the starter/solenoid need to be changed out? Where is that located in the engine compartment? How tough is it to do-it-yourself?

Reply to
chipnskye

Is the buzzing temperature related? The engine may be trying to tell you that it has not warmed up yet.

Most diesel engines have some kind of pre-heating for the cylinders to bring them up to temperature where the diesel fuel will ignite. If the outside temperature is cold, the cylinders need to pre-heat for a minute or so, depending on how cold it is. If it's warm outside, the pre-heating can be almost instantaneous.

It's possible that the buzzer is telling you that pre-heating is still going on and don't try to start the engine until the buzzing has stopped.

Just a thought, not necessarily the solution.

Reply to
Joe S.

Clean your battery connections.

Dave