96 Jetta Alarm when I try to start it

For some years (2-3), the alarm system has not worked. When the head was resurfaced and put back in the car, the repair shop knocked off (broke) the alarm switch in the engine compartment. Never fixed it.

I tried to start the car this evening, and the alarm went off. Had to get out of the car, lock it, and unlock it to get it to stop. When I tried to start the car, it would not even turn over.

Any ideas?

Greg

Reply to
Greg

probably bad/broken wiring at the driver's door I am surprised that unlocking the door turned the alarm off! 8^o Did you ever notice that if you unlock the driver's door, open it and then close it, does it automatically lock and arm the alarm? Try unlocking the passenger door to see if the alarm turns off the the starter circuit is enabled.

Pull back the rubber wiring harness boot covering the wires, and examine the wiring for cracking. Just add proper wiring by soldering it to the breaking ones and insulate. Make sure that the new spliced wire is flexible. Or you could buy a new, or good used, door harness and install that too.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1