check engine light first time at 44k

44,000 mi on E350 superduty 5.4 Check Engine light just came on. I do my own maintaince. Bought used from dealer with 29K. Engine runs, fluids good. Can this just be a suggested Milage tune up, or do I have to start checking codes. If it is a factory preset for an engine check up, how do I reset it Ray
Reply to
jacktheboy

TMK, the only reason you'll ever get a CEL is when there's an actual fault. Get thee to AutoZone for a free code scan.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I'm new to the Ford Post, whats TMK I'll hit Auto Zone Thanks

Reply to
jacktheboy

My bad. That's "To My Knowledge." I was saying that I don't *think* Ford did like Chrysler, for example, did where they had a light that would come on just to make you run to the dealer to get it checked. On every Ford I've had, be it an 88 Crown Vic, to a 2003 E-150, a CEL meant there was a code.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

a few weeks back the attendant at the gas station removed my gas cap before i had turned off the truck & my light came on shortly afterwards. it went out a few days later.

Reply to
T T

Thanks for sharing.

Reply to
Al Bundy

You did not say what year truck you have. I'm gonna guess that it is a '96 or newer.

There is a data port along the bottom edge of the dash board that accomodates the OBD II Code Reader. AutoZone (and others, I think) will allow you to use the code reader for free, or they will use it for you -- either way it is free -- to pull the codes. You need to know what the codes are before you should attempt to do anything. Well, you can check the gas cap before you go pull codes ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland