Need to identify engine without stickers

My '94 Ranger didn't pass emissions inspection because they said it's supposed to have an Exhaust Gas Recirculation System but my engine just didn't have that component on it anywhere. They said it's probably because a previous owner must have changed out the engine to a different year and I didn't know about it, but they couldn't identify the engine because there were no longer any stickers on the underhood frame to identify it.

Is there a code or stamp anywhere on the engine that I can use to positively identify the engine and determine what emissions standards apply?

Reply to
smrg654

I don't know - EGR has been used on basically everything since 1973. That's a pretty strange situation.

Reply to
Joe

Reply to
smrg654

some where that block is going to have a casting number on it.

basic under standing of ford casting numbers in general It would help to know some idea of what engine you think is in there, there where three that year. The 2.3 with automatic did not have an egr valve in 93, or least there isn't one listed in my Wells parts manual. going back or foreword all others do.

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning