1996 F-250 PSD fuel pick-up ???

I just ran out of fuel while running on the rear tank the other day. The gauges have always been accurate on this truck and half way into the red has always been safe on both tanks. The gauge was still reading 1/8 tank when she went dry. My first thought was that the rear sender had taken a dump. However, when I filled the tank, it would only take slightly over 15 gallons. This would indicate that something has change in the configuration of the fuel pick-up. Is anyone familiar with the construction or able to offer any other suggestions? TIA.

Reply to
Tyrone