1997 F-350 tranny question

Hello- I used a 97 f-350 to do some heavy moving (shrub pulling). I smelled something hot, looked underneath and saw tranny fluid leaking a pretty steady stream. I let the truck cool, and checked the fluid. It was about 1 qt low, so I added some. Drove the truck under normal conditions and saw no leak. Drove normally for about 25 miles in traffic and 45mph on hwy, pulled over and still no leak.

Question- Did it leak because the tranny got too hot? It was a hot day and I pulled for about 2 hrs with it.

Much appreciate any help.

Reply to
truckman

yes

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Thanks for your answer. What should I do at this point? Could I have damaged the tranny?

Many thanks

Reply to
truckman
1) pray

2) possibly

Reply to
TranSurgeon

probably got the torque converter VERY hot, it started leaking out the front seal

probably no damage if you didn't slip any clutches

change fluid about 2-3 times over the next month to get most of the old fluid out

and DON'T do it again !!!

TS

Reply to
TranSurgeon

TS- Thanks so much. I'll have it changed ASAP, and I'll heed your advice, 'O Tranny Master.

Reply to
truckman

For your information...heat is what damages automatic transmissions. You may have very likely damaged yours.

Reply to
Lance LaFrinier

Thanks for your response. In researching how to remove the shrubs, almost every example involved pulling them with a truck. I am very aware of what ruins transmissions, and would not have done this had I thought for a second that it would damage it. This truck is a brute of a vehicle and I thought it was up to the task. So far it has shown no ill effect from this, but no, I would not do it this way again.

Reply to
truckman

Just add a tranny cooler first. Most folks agree that the factory cooler is insufficient for heavy duty work.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

2 hours is a long time to be working that tranny that hard. I depends on what kind of shrub you were pulling and what prep you did before pulling. Don't get transmissions hot. If you are going to work it that hard, you need a good transmission cooler and let it rest to cool off from time to time.
Reply to
wicked