97 Ranger Ext Cab Tranny "Clunk"

I have a 97 ranger ext cab XLT automatic with O/D. When I accelerate from
1st to 2nd, there is a slight hesitation followed by a loud "Clunk" that
practically gives me whiplash. Same thing on deceleration. Other gears is
fine, so at highway speeds, it's good, traffic jams it's friggin' painful.
I've taken it to a transmission shop 3 times and they've changed 2 switches
and the "brain" but it hasn't gotten better. It seems to be OK first thing
in the morning, worse as it warms up. Any ideas?
Reply to
B wrote:
Is there a temp sensor in the trans? I had the same problem with a Maxima. It was a bad temp sensor telling the "brain" that it was always cold which made it shift very hard when warm.
Reply to
JimV
I don't think it's the same thing. It doesn't just shift hard, it goes "Boom!"
Reply to

Site Timeline Threads

  • I have a 2005 Ranger and I would like to put a Hurst white cue ball shift knob...

    Ford Trucks