460

Hi Group, I have an '87 Motorhome on a Forf 350 Chasis. I have a cracked exhaust manifold and was wondering if I should put duals on while it was in the shop. I don't want it to sound any louder though. Would I see any advange doing this? Any advice would be welcome. Thanks, Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

Slightly more power, slightly better fuel economy, slightly louder. The louder part will be the most noticeable.

......but still an awesome engine, and they all (429-460) crack manifolds, sooner or later.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

No do not put dual exhaust on it, You will gain nothing over a properly sized single exhaust system. Dual exhaust is a highly overrated modification. A 3 inch single pipe through a high flow cat, and their largest commercial muffler is the way to go. That will keep the exhaust system where it belongs under all of the original heat and sound shields and out of your way if you have any reason to repair or maintained anything down there.

The big three Ford GM and Dodge, In there vast quest to produce the pickup truck with the best in class torque and horsepower production for large gas engines, still do this through one correctly sized and tuned SINGLE exhaust pipe.

Good Luck

Reply to
351CJ

Thanks to both of you.....Friends told me I would be better off with dualls. I don't have a cat on it BTW...Not on ;87's Noise is very important, my wife doesn'y like it LOL. Happy wife, happy life. I'm 69 wouldn't want to change now. Geoff

Reply to
Geoff

"If mama aint happy, nobody's happy!"

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

You are welcome.

Sorry, I was thinking pickup truck. You are right there were no emission standards for '87 motor homes, and no cats. There were however, cats on the '87 3/4 ton 460 pickup.

Everyone who says you are "better off with dual exhaust" versus a correctly sized single exhaust system are full of it. It all boils down to having the correctly sized exhaust system to allow the proper volume of exhaust gas out. That can easily be accomplished with a single exhaust system.

Good Luck

Reply to
351CJ

OTOH, most police cars with interceptor engines, come with factory duals. Also many Lincolns and Caddys. H

Reply to
Hairy

Is that why all racers use the most open exhaust system possible, duals, even single pipes for each cylinder. My experience has been that the bigger and more turned the exhaust, the easier it is for spent fuel to exit the entire system. Headers are an improvement and, besides, even duals with "quiet" mufflers sound better. Go for it.

Reply to
The earnest one

Harry come on now,

Dual exhaust systems are on most factory cars that come with them because the customers "think" they are cool. If Ford can quite effectively run a 6.8 liter V-10 at 362 Horsepower and 457 Torque through a single exhaust system, do you really think any of these lesser engines need a dual exhaust system?

Reply to
351CJ

Yes, on some vehicles, duals are just styling elements. That doesn't mean that NO vehicles would benefit from duals. Do you really think the state police buys their cars with duals because they "look cool"?

Only if they want to improve on the factory numbers. H

Reply to
Hairy

Are you for real?

You are mixing apples with oranges here! It is a Motorhome, Not a highly modified race engine.

Besides, in nearly every street car "race" application, the same exhaust system performance goals that you seem to believe require a dual exhaust system can be achieved with the proper sized single exhaust system!

If your engine is making more power (MOVING MORE AIR) then the exhaust system will allow a larger exhaust system will help. If the single pipe is capable of achieving the optimal exhaust gas flow, dual pipes have No advantage when it comes to the exhaust gas flow dynamics

The vast majority of people who modify their exhaust system do so with false expectations that they will achieve some performance gain from doing so. They will not!

Reply to
351CJ

Have you seen the factory Y pipe on a 6.8l V10? The pipes on my wife's 240sx are bigger than that thing.

I had a local muffler shop build a bigger and better flowing Y pipe (I don't recall if it was 2.5" or 3") and weld in a big-ass Flowmaster muffler on my SuperDuty. It sounds funky, but according to my "Mark 1 calibrated ass-dyno", it sure pulls better. I picked up a little better MPG (I keep a log) too. I never even considered dual exhaust...

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

I believe one element of the conversation is missing and that is RPM. If you are going to run it faster like race cars then a dual system would be required.

Reply to
user

Bullshit, It is flow dynamics, AIR FLOW, CFM in and CFM out. If the single system allows enough air flow CFM to accommodate the engines needs, you can't improve on it by splitting it into 2 pipes. This is a very simple concept guys. Provided both systems provide enough air flow and don't give you a backpressure hit, there is no performance advantage to a dual exhaust system over a single. exhaust system tuning is another issue, and the same tuning can be done to either system, Why do you think they use CROSSOVERS on supposedly dual exhaust systems anyway??? My statements pertain to street legal street cars and trucks. I an not addressing off road race applications, although the principles are still the same...

Reply to
351CJ