4X4 F150 Diesel Conversion-- any ideas ?

Hello all,

Does anybody have any opinions about the 6-0 powerstroke going into a

4x4 150, or any other diesel conversion that you may know about.

I have been looking at the Cummins/Dodge combo, but I just saw a pretty nice '79 F150 for sale w/ brand new tires, no rust, and a friendly price.

What I like about the Ford 4X4 is the front end-- the way the axel is held forward by those heavy braces-- what ever they are called. Spinters have the same system (not the vans, lol) as do some of the cars from the early era.

Thanks in advance, John

Reply to
john.van.v

That front axle is not strong at all as looks can be very deceiving. A PS in a F150 would over load axle itself and suspension so extra springs alone will not fix it. A cummis would be even a bit worse weight wise. If you rerally want to convert a old truck to a oil burner you need at least a 3/4 ton truck with a Dana 50 or 60 up front, not a D44. People under estimate how much weight it adds to front end of a truck and its effect. You want more axle in back than comes in a 1/2 ton truck too.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

At the Bakery where my brother worked. They had about a 100 delivery trucks 60's and 70's models with Ford

300ci 6 cylinder engines.

They purchased, I think either Isuzu or Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel four cylinder engines and transmission adapter plates and converted them to diesel for better fuel mileage.

But that would be a lot less power.

Reply to
Eb