'72 F250 Front Discs an option?...My Problem

I have a 1972 F250 with front disc brakes. Between the front brakes is a pressure check valve.

Do not confuse this valve with the proportional valve. This one is separate and the incoming line to it feeds from the proportional valve.

My thinking is, and the reason for my question.....If Ford didn't put disc brakes on 1972's then these are after market. If that's the case then I can probably do away with the pressure check valve which was probably used originally for drum brakes to keep pressure on the front wheel drums. In it's place I'd just install a T.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Reply to
DUMBnEASY

Dennis

Disc brakes were optional starting in '68 on the F-250 pickups, they didn't become standard equipment until '73 on all F-100 thru F-350 pickups.

The "check valve" is actually a pressure differential valve, and was also put there by the factory, in addition to the proportioning valve. It's purpose was to alert the driver in the case of front or rear brake failure by illuminating that little red light just above your e-brake pedal on the dash. The valve is centered and balanced by the pressures of the front and rear system. If the front or rear lose pressure, the valve goes off-center and trips the brake warning lamp switch that rides on the valve. It also goes off-center when you bleed the system and can be a real PIA to recenter, especially if you're doing it by yourself. A lot of times people just disconnect the plug to the switch...not the best idea.

Keith

Reply to
Keith