'84 F250 drowns on acceleration

Maybe a vacuum pump, or an inline hose filter? Any recommendations, observations, or similar stories?

Reply to
AngleWyrm

Check for dirt in the fuel line. Remove lie from the from of the return value before the carb and put a hose on it and run it into a jar or something then turn the electric fuel pump on. You might be surprised.

AngleWyrm wrote:

Reply to
Ron

Is it fuel injected?

Reply to
Mark Jones

Not fuel injected. The problem only occurs when the engine is cold; the first several minutes I can bet it's gonna die if I put it into geer (not a pretty sight). After I drive it around a bit, it seems to be a bit better off; I still have to be gentle when applying the gas, but I can pull out of a parking lot after a trip somewhere without too much embarassment. Gotta get this fixed.

Reply to
AngleWyrm

acellerator pump?

Reply to
Joe G

That'd be my guess too. My '71 Olds did this very same thing. All I had to do was replace the accelerator pump diaphragm and the problem went away.

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego

That would be my guess. That is why I asked if it was injected or not. I have had cars that would have this problem every

2 years or so. This problem alone is reason enough for me to stay with fuel injected cars and trucks.
Reply to
Mark Jones

Funny, but this old Quadrajet on the 30+ year old Olds has only has the pump diaphragm replaced the one time. I had a Holley 650 double pumper on an old Firebird that required a new diaphragm at least once a year.

Then again, the Olds has 63,512 original miles on it and it's not like my grandmother ever put her foot to the thing..

Reply to
The OTHER Kevin in San Diego