87 Bronco Push-button 4x4 problems, please help

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the 4x4 game, and just bought an '87 Bronco (full size) Eddie Bauer edition. It has push-button 4x4, and the story goes that mechanically the 4x4 stuff is fine (the previous owner replaced the automatic hubs with manual-locking hubs), but that electrically things just won't engage.

Does anyone have experience with this? I just bought the truck on Friday (it drove 150km home on the highway just fine), so I haven't even checked obvious things like fuses yet.

I picked up a new button assembly from the local scrapper, but I'm guessing it won't be that easy. Any suggestions on what to look for?

And if everything is a mess.....can I just get a manual 4x4 shifter and linkage from another Bronco (the yard I was at had 2) and bolt it in to replace all of the electrical shifting-stuff in the transfer case?

By the way, sorry if my "lingo" isn't correct, but as I said I'm just getting into the world of 4x4's (apparently my '71 Satellite isn't enough of a money pit, so I had to buy something else....)

Thanks in advance for all your help. Feel free to email me at snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com

Chris

Reply to
Chris

I have a 91 Bronco. Mine wouldn't engage electrically. I had to change out the

4 wheel drive motor, its the little motor attached to the transfer case. My problem was, I would hit the button and nothing would happen at all. It all works fine now. Part and labor ended up being over 300 bucks, I should have just done it all myself. But I didn't know how hard it would have been at the time. Ya live and learn.
Reply to
Pfunk20000

mechanically

Reply to
BattleGodz

Reply to
Don Ward

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Ward" Newsgroups: alt.auto.ford.pickups,alt.trucks.ford Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2004 7:51 PM Subject: Re: 87 Bronco Push-button 4x4 problems, please help

Reality is that neither the BigBronc or the BII hold a candle to the "Old Bronco" ; and most of us are still kicking our own asses for not snagging one when they were cheap and plentiful (and in good shape )

It's funny -- the "baby bronco (BII)" folks like me still love them for what they are.

Reply to
R. Asby Dragon

Reply to
Matt