82 ford bronco just quit

Hi I'm hoping some one can help me PLEASE, I have a 82 ford bronco w/302 motor 5.0 liter manual transmission it was running fine one day died and just won't start up again I tried a new battery seulnoid distributor cap and rotor it sounds like it just isn't catching the starter engages it just won't fire up,(I think that's the word I'm looking for) I'm thinking it might need new plugs and wires some one suggested the fuel filter or fuel pump I just don't want to keep wasting money on things I might not need PLEASE HELP ME, I'm at a loss.

Reply to
shefox

Had a similar salutation on a 68 Mustang. The timing chain had slipped.

Reply to
E. BOROWICZ

Fuel, fire & air; check fuel pressure first, then spark, then try a shot of starter fluid.

Reply to
Sharon K.Cooke

Won't be needing a pressure check on that one. Just remove the air cleaner and look down the carb while you open the throttle a couple of times to see if it has fuel. If it has fuel and spark, and turns over, a timing light can be used to see whether the timing is still pretty close. That will see whether the timing chain has slipped. Compression check would be next. My 351CJ pulled a stunt like that where the timing was dead on, it had fuel and spark. Ran compression check and found none on back 6 cylinders. Cam had broken behind #2 cam bearing.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

First thing's first. When you turn the key, do you hear the starter motor trying to turn? If yes...

Does the starter sound like it's spinning freely instead of turning the crankshaft? If no...

If you pull a spark plug and have someone turn the key (turn over the engine), is there spark? If yes...

Is fuel getting to the carb? Try spraying some starter flud into the carb. If the engine starts, but then kills right away, fuel might not be making it.

Joe

Reply to
Wry Sager

First of all fuel filter and plugs wires etc should be replaced if you dont6 remember when you replaced them. second check to see if you have spark ... (pull coil wire off and stick a screw driver in there... crank it over while holding it close to a ground point) does it have spark.

If no remove dist cap. crank engine does dist turn? if yes replace spark module (note it could also be the pickup defective in distributor (broken wire) but most likely the module) if no replace timing chain

Reply to
scott