89 ford ranger

Sometimes after you start the engine the rear anti-lock light stays on, dim... When this happens the blinkers don't work, blower motor does't work and the amp meter reads low, but the truck runs fine. The next time you start up everything my be fine, maybe for days. I was told I needed a new battery. I installed a new battery one month ago, I didn't notice anything untill today. It acted up this morning but was normal again in the afternoon. Thank you for any ideas..

L.A.

Reply to
latv

Sounds like your alternator is failing or there's a bad connection between it and the battery. The antilock light is on because the voltage is low. Do you have a digital volt meter?

Reply to
JimV

Make sure your ignition lock/switch is returning fully to the ON position. It may be sticking part way into the start position.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Yes I have a digital volt meter. I should read 13.6 volts on the battery if the alternater is OK , when the truck acts up if I read 12 volts on the battery then its likely the alternater is intermittent. Is this right ? Thanks for the help L.A.

Reply to
latv

Unfortunately, this sounds like something you're not going to be able to fully identify until it dies. The dim lights and everything being low, but then later it being fine points to a current draw, or a flakey alternator. I'm not sure who told you about needing a new battery, but have something like that tested before replacing it. Batteries are rarely the issue.

Best thing to do would be to carry a Voltage meter with you in the glove box. The next time the truck acts up, grab the voltage meter and pop the hood, checking for the voltage at the battery posts. If it's below 13v, your alternator or the wiring to the alternator isn't working. Note I metion wiring to the alternator, as it's possible a wire can get bad that makes it look like a bad alt, but isn't.

Reply to
Mike H

Right

Reply to