89 Ford Rangers Worth ?

I realize you cant make a exact guess without actually looking at it, but I was wondering if someone here could advise me as to what they would do.

I live in midtown sacramento and discovered I really dont need a car at all, so I have left my 89 Ford Ranger w/custom made ladder rack parked for the last couple of years.

It was running fine when I parked it, but had a small transmission seal leak ( I drove it for 2 years with the leak, just kept topping it off) needs a water pump and tires, but other than that, it was running like a top, just got tired of paying the insurance, gas, dealing with the parking etc.

No dents, plus it has an attatched tool box right behind the cab.

I was thinking of $500 but might go as low as $300, I think I can get that much for it just as scrap-metal, what do you think ?

I live in Sacramento Ca. Have had people leave notes on it asking if I would like to sell it, but have made no real offers, so you could really help me out if you an give me ANY idea about what I might try to get for it.

Feel free to e-mail me directly if you want;

Any help / advice you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Chris mc3

Reply to
Chris Mc 3

Ask $500 and settle for less? You don't say if it is 4x4 or 2x4, a 4x4 is worth more.

Reply to
PeterD

Typically, if it runs and will pass inspection, it's worth $1000 as far as I'm concerned. It's worth what someone will pay for it. If you're happy with $500, I'd say you could sell it in a few hours.

Reply to
scrape

I think $800 would get it for a 2WD. If it runs good. Just got to wait a bit for the $800.

Reply to
None4U

I think both of you are missing the point that this truck sat for several years and probably needs some TLC! As well, of course the OP didn't say if he was willing to wait for the highest price (if such a trick is even possible...)

Reply to
PeterD

Nah, not really. My point was that "if it runs and will pass inspection" someone will pay $1000 for it. Etc.

Reply to
scrape

Me too, rusty running 70s-80s trucks go for 800 around here. Anything sits around here gets offers.

Reply to
None4U

I'm going to 'step back' from this! I don't think anyone of us can prove what it is worth. Here in New England, one would be hard pressed to get more than a few hundred unless it was in good condition (if a

2x4).

A lot depends on what 'will pass inspection' really means, I guess.

Reply to
PeterD

The only inspection required is emissions ... In my state salt eats all vehicles. it gets toi the pint where its worth 800 or so if it runs.

Reply to
None4U

In this state if the rust is too bad it won't pass inspection. Rust is a major factor, one of the highest, as it can take a car that is looking good and in a couple of years, turn it into junk yard scrap! (been there, too...)

Again, I guess one of the most major factors is (as the real estate agent says) location, location, location.

It can be profitable to take a car without visible rust (say, a rusted frame) and drive it to Florida or another southern state, and resell it there. Often enough to pay for the 'vacation' if you don't stay in an expensive place. They buy a really rust free car down there, and drive it back up. Yea, some cars make that same trip several times over the years!

Reply to
PeterD