89 Ranger

Having difficulty with the 2.9 liter starting. Up until the weather changed from arid to damp, the engine would catch in less than a revolution. Now that cold and damp weather is here, it cranks for 4-5 seconds before it catches and when it does, it coughs a bit before coming to life. Also seemed to have discovered that after cranking for a few seconds, then stopping and then starting the cranking again, the engine fires immediately (rather like it did before the cold weather).

She who must be obeyed, is concerned that it will let her down and not start (truth is that I am concerned too). We think it has about 85000 miles on a replacement (probably used engine) and she makes sure the fluids etc are kept properly.

Any thoughts, suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Gary Brown snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net

Reply to
Gary Brown

"Gary Brown" wrote in news:7R0xd.1118359$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

yea, get a fuel filter in it. KB

Reply to
Kevin Bottorff

Maybe it's the ignition system? Last year my BroncoII had an intermittent issue where it would run very poorly. When it was wet it was worst, but when the early snowfall cleared the air it ran fine. It turned out to be worn spark plug wires crossfiring.

Another idea is an air flow problem. Does it start fine if you hold the throttle partly open? If so then it could be the IAC (Idle Air Control) valve sticking closed or maybe the MAP sensor is skewing the computer's inferences about the amount of air entering the engine. I don't know much about the MAP sensor, but the IAC is the round thing bolted to the upper intake manifold on the left-hand side. It has a hose connecting it to the throttle body. One way to clean it is to remove the hose connecting the throttle to the air filter and spray intake cleaner in the hole leading to the IAC while the engine is running. After you spray a bit of the cleaner, push the throttle open to catch the engine from stalling. (it will want to stall because you are putting a less-volatile fluid in the chamber where it is supposed to have air; but you don't want the throttle open the entire time because you want the engine to suck air, and the cleaner, through the IAC)

You can come here with an engine lift and take mine :-). It still runs well, but instead of putting more money in my BroncoII (1990) I bought a Jeep Wrangler. My BII has several parts that are worth re-using (ie clutch with ~10K miles; radiator less than a year old; new muffler; etc.) if you are interested in them. Anything and everything on it is available for sale, just name your price. (the rear e-brake cables are seized and each of the rear springs have a cracked leaf but the vehicle is otherwise fully functional)

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson