90's F-150 - what to look for?

I've been offered an early 90's extended cab, 2wd Ford pickup for what I think is an excellent price. It's an F-150, 300 straight six, automatic (not nuts about the last, but whatever.) Current owner is not a car guy. I haven't seen the truck yet, are there any typical "issues" with these trucks that I should be specifically looking for, or just check for general condition/function and if it seems OK, buy it?

I'm just looking for something for a backup vehicle and occasional haulage of lumber and/or bulky car parts. Maybe towing a trailer occasionally but I certainly wouldn't make a practice of it.

Is this combo sufficient to tow a car trailer for short trips? I'm guessing no, but if it could, that would be a bonus.

One last question - were these trucks sold in any markets other than the US? I've got this thing about decent headlights; would like to replace the factory units with e-codes if I could, if I end up purchasing this truck.

Sorry for the probably dumb questions, but the sum total of my experience with trucks is with a) early 70's GM products and b) a brief stint doing ABS development, again with GM products.

thanks,

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Look for a buyer. I have a '93 300CID standard 4wd. It's the "newest", as well as the crappiest, Ford I've ever owned; it is my last Ford truck. It is my last Ford motor vehicle of any kind, I suspect. This truck is the penultimate "Affirmative Action" motor vehicle: It seems to have been designed by some twit who'd have been better off designing a vacuum cleaner and every single thing about it, without exception, had the sole aim of making it as cheap as possible to put together. My "next" truck will be a Toyota because: It is made in U.S.A. not in Mexico and/or Canookia; it requires only one set of tools.

Reply to
Derald

Thanks for the reply, can you give me an idea of the specific issues you've had? This truck is cheap enough that even if it is a POS if I buy it and get a couple years' use out of it I will be happy.

nate

Reply to
N8N

The 300 six is a torque monster, it will pull you car trailer with no issues. The caliper slides like to hang up, but that's been an issue with ford trucks for over 20 years. Radial arm bushings especially the passenger side which is too close to the cat on that side. Fit and polish was not to car standard, but then trucks were still trucks in the early 90's. Have seen a few loose rear mains, but not many. watch the main connector on the alternator, if alt replaced, replace connector as well. But then this was an across the board ford issue. In the 80's I worked for a guy and we pulled a 3 car trailer behind a F-250 with a 300. It had no problems, did have a manual though. To the guy going to toyota, don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, it may be assembled here, but has a high content of foreign parts, and the profit leaves the country. Funny for being such a POS its lasted him 14 years. Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

That depends on year/version of engine and the axle ratio too. If it is a econbox specail with a 300 and a 3.08 rear axle it will suck at towing a car trailer. If it has a 3.73 or betterwith a 300 it should do acceptably at this.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan