92 F250 won't start

I started my truck this morning and let it idle for about 10 min. I put it in gear and it stalled. It would not start after that. It did turn over well with no hesitation so I am assuming the battery is fine.

I did switch tanks in case it is a fuel pump problem. I am going to look at it tonight and would like ideas where to start.

Treetop

Reply to
Treetop

Needs 3 things to run: Air Spark Fuel

Unless you have a major FUBAR (truck at bottom of lake, cat in throttle body) air is pretty much a given

Spark - use a $3 tester Have spark? Then it's fuel Have fuel? Then you screwed up one of the 2 checks above .

Post what you discover.....spark or fuel.

Reply to
bomar

Pardon my ignorance, what $3 tester? does it go in place of a spark plug with a light or something to test for spark? How does it work?

bomar wrote:

Reply to
Treetop

I paid $3 for mine, but here is a $4.19 version:

this one for $5.26
The ads kinda give away the operating secret ;)

Reply to
bomar

I guess I don't see the reason for this item. Why not just use a sparkplug with a ground wire ?

Ron

bomar wrote:

Reply to
Ron

The reason for this item is that a spark plug may produce a visible spark indicating there is enough voltage to span that gap. There may not be enough voltage to span the gap inside a presurized cylinder with a fuel charge. With the adjustable gap device, you can adjust to a gap specified by the manufacturer. If you get a nice clean blue spark at that gap, then you probably have enough spark to get the job done. The spark plug "looking" tester is what I use on small engines. I use the adjustable one with a larger gap for a quick check on HEI automotive units because they require a bit more spark. This is only an indicator if you have enough spark to start an engine. It may not be good enough for best performance. That may take a bit more diagnosis

Lugnut.

Reply to
lugnut

Turns out that the front fuel pump was not working properly. When I switched tanks I only tried to start it once. When I tried it when I got home it fired right up. I friend of mine (shade tree mechanic) listened to both fuel pumps when I turned the key to on and the front pump was making nasty noise. The rear one worked normal.

I have been us> Needs 3 things to run:

Reply to
Treetop

Forgot one thing...must be mechanically "aligned" as well...piston, valves, etc., timed correctly.

Reply to
Ernie Sparks