'93 F-150 ignition lock problem

Hi all,

finally bought a truck, it's a '93 F-150. A friend has a similar truck and it has the exact same problem, so I am assuming that this is a common issue. When you remove the key from the ignition, the little chrome piece with the "ears" is free to rotate independently of the lock cylinder, and if you don't align it exactly with the lock cylinder, the buzzer will sound whenever a door is open. This isn't a huge deal, but it's very annoying (and shrill) so I was wondering if there's an easy fix?

thanks,

nate

Reply to
N8N

Replace the lock assembly

Whitelightning

Reply to
Whitelightning

Is this an easy job, or enough of a PITA that it's worth learning to live with it?

I just bought the truck last night and haven't had a chance to get any service manuals, are any of the "aftermarket" ones any good? I consider myself a capable DIYer although I'm spoiled by working on too many Studebakers (have a full set of parts books and manuals for everything 1955-64)

nate

Reply to
N8N

The cylinder is easy to replace. Get your new cylinder key matched or keyed so it will match yours doors. Once you get that, the cylinder takes 5 min to chang. Turn the switch to the "ON" position. Use a small punch or phillips screwdriver and push up on the cylinder lock pin thru the access hole in the bottom of the column under the lock. Once you push the pin in, the cylinder pulls righ out. Turn the new one to the same position, slip it in the hole and turn it off - job done.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

yep, replace the lock cylinder.

Reply to
Steve Barker

takes about 32 seconds if you know where to poke the screwdriver. If you don't, then it takes about 5 minutes.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Since he asked, I 'sumed he's a virgin on where to poke this one without no fur.

Lugnut

Reply to
lugnut

yup, I am a complete noob to these Ford truck things. but thanks for the info, if it is really that easy I will put it on my "to do" list.

nate

Reply to
N8N