93 Ford Ranger Engine Revs on its own.....

I have a 93 Ford Ranger stick shift. The problem I am having is when I change gears on occasion the car will continue to accelerate even if my foot is not on the gas pedal. When I take it out of gear the engine revs up and then it continues to accelerate when I put it back into gear. Any ideas what might be the problem? Please help!!!!

Reply to
cardumb

My first guess would be the throttle is sticking. Yank off the air duct from the throttle body and take a look. You can clean it if necessary with throttle body cleaner. I've not heard of throttle cables sticking on that year but I'd check that too.

Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

Ulysses

Probably the IAC valve. Remove it and clean it up really good. When they get carboned up, the valve sticks which causes the engine to rev on its own. If its in too bad of shape, I'd replace it.

Sharky

Reply to
Sharky