94 explorer 150kmiles lifter tap

Hello I have a 94 explorer with 150k miles. I change the oil every 6000 miles because I put about 1000 highway miles a week. When I start the car in the morning it sounds fine as it idles. If i jump in it right away and drive down the road, I here it tapping or ticking away like a old manual typewriter. Once the engine heats up 5-10 minutes everything is quiet again.

Question: Could I use a motor flush, is it a sludge buildup.? Ignore it. Add some snake oil voodoo juice to the oil.?

tia

Saul

Never Forget

AbitRip

Not sure if this is the case on your explorer, but I have an old F-100 that did that, and it turned out that the screen on the oil pump was full of sludge. Replaced oil pump and screen, all is fine again. How is the oil pressure on your explorer? If you're showing low oil pressure, that could be the cause. You could try a quart of Lucas oil treatment, it seems to do pretty good for noisy lifters. Just substitute a quart of it for your regular oil next change and see if it helps.

Reply to
J Grant

Never Forget

AbitRip