94 f150 302 electrical problem

Hi All:

I noticed that my amp guage intermitently reads about 8-10 on the meter. When is starts doing this the battery light comes on. It has just recently started doing this and I can feel a little hesitation in the engine when it starts reading less than 12 volts on the meter. Does anyone have any ideas? I've checked on loose connections between the battery and the alternator but nothing seems loose.

Thanks,

Stergil

Reply to
Stergil

probably the alternator brushes are about shot

Reply to
Gary Glaenzer

What you mean you have to replace those? It's only got 143k on it. They don't make 'em like they used to! .

Reply to
Stergil

Well, it was the alternator. It was $102 at the autozone. It took all of

15 minutes to remove the old one and put the new one on.

Thanks for your help Gary.

Stergil

Reply to
Stergil

Hi all,

I've got a 94 F150 with the 4.9L engine and my alternator just died. Is it worth it to rebuilt/replace the brushes or just go buy a "new" rebuilt unit?

Thanks, BigDD

Reply to
BigDD

Sorry, second part of the question. Does it make sense to go to a stronger alternator, i.e., replace the 75 amp unit with a 95 or 130 amp unit? Are there any drawbacks to upgrading the alternator?

Thanks, BigDD

Reply to
BigDD

| Sorry, second part of the question. Does it make sense to go to a |stronger alternator, i.e., replace the 75 amp unit with a 95 or 130 amp |unit? Are there any drawbacks to upgrading the alternator?

1st question: If it's an easy fix like brushes or bearings, I'd fix the original before I'd buy a reman. 2nd best is to take it to a local electrical shop and tell them to fix yours.

2nd question - Only makes sense if your original cannot keep up with the demands. Have you added equipment that taxes the standard unit? If you buy a reman, they often take the lower amp models and rebuild to the most common higher-amp version of that unit. So any replacement will be and upgrade if you started out below that level. Rex in Fort Worth

Reply to
Rex B