Battery problem

I have a Transit motorhome and the leisure battery appeared to be flat so I tried charging it. The charger amp meter wouldn't move when I switched on the mains, as it normally does, it just remained motionless at under 1 amp. After several hours of charging the battery still gave a reading of 10.58v.

When I put the tester on the charger leads (whilst they were still connected to the battery) they gave a reading of over 14 volts (I forget exactly how much).

Furthermore, when I connected the charger to the vehicle battery (which previously gave a reading of 12.4v) the amp meter immediately jumped up to

4amps, when the mains was switched on.

The battery is two years and 8 months old and is guaranteed for three years, so I would welcome any views before I take it back to the supplier, my mechanical knowledge being very feeble!

Many thanks in anticipation.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

One cell of the battery would appear to have failed. A hydrometer test could identify which one.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

If you're getting a reading of over 14 volts while on charge with a small charger it means the internal resistance of the battery is high - probably due to sulphation through being left flat. You could try leaving it on charge for several days - this sometimes at least partially reverses the process. Otherwise it's only any use as a doorstop.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

If you're getting a reading of over 14 volts while on charge with a small

Happened to the leisure battery that came with my caravan. I left the charger on continuously hoping it would recover and it cooked the charger. I'm still to be convinced by the 'leisure' battery market. We used to use another car battery in the caravan and if it got a bit low we'd swap it around. Never knew one to fail by that use. The 36 month guarantee is probably time based so you won't get much credit off a new one. DaveK

Reply to
DaveK

Many thanks for the replies, folks. Sounds as though I have a problem that will require a new battery and some luck with the guarantee.

Eric

Reply to
Eric