94 ranger won't start-help plz

good day,

I have tried to find a similiar post so I don't repeat. no luck. My truck was running then just cut-out (no noise). But before this all happened I was parked and engine idle it then began to shake a bit then engine light came on then off and went back to normal operation. It cranks normally (real good) it almost catches but just won't. It's not a battery, belt issue. I have a v6 3.0 engine.

I have everybody telling me it's fuel related. I'm not a mechanic so type slow. any help would be great. thx in advance.

mike

Reply to
Pin77

djdave

Turn the key to the run position (don't crank the starter) and listen for the fuel pump to run. If you hear it hum for a few seconds, check the fuel filter and fuel lines coming from the gas tank for leaks.

If you don't hear the fuel pump run, give the fuel tank a few hits with your arm while laying under the truck. This may let it run for a few minutes, or at least long enough to get the truck to a shop.

A few things you can check beforehand are 1) the fuel pump inertia switch. On my 1991, it is located under the dash on the drivers side of the transmission hump in the floor. You may have to pull back the carpet to find it. 2) Check the fuel pump relay in the engine compartment. Not sure where it is located on your truck, but on mine it is under the distribution block, right beside the EEC relay.

I had a similar issue which I posted on alt.autos.ford a few weeks ago. My truck quit running while on the road. Turned out to be the wiring harness was rotted off that goes into the sending unit. If you end up replacing the fuel pump, it is much easier to remove the box than it is to lower the fuel tank. The subject is "Removing the box, 1991 Ranger".

Good luck Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

Thanks for your input Sharky. This is what I did before I read your reply. I cranked the engine then took out a plug to see if it was wet. It was bone dry and doesn't smell like gas. I sprayed starting fluid and got no results with that either. I checked the oil cause someone told me that very low oil will cause the engine not too crank. I just went out and turned the key to on and DID hear the hum you mentioned. So I'm guessing my problems could be larger???? your thoughts? anyone? Bueller?

thanks, mike

Reply to
Pin77

No spark. Ignitor is dead in your disty.

Reply to
I. Care

Disty????

Reply to
Pin77

Distributor.

Reply to
I. Care

Im slow. I kinda figured you were talking about distributor. I took it off and the piece that makes contact with cap was broken off. thanks

mike

Reply to
Pin77

Well, saga continues. Changed the rotor and cap and still have same result. no start! I really thought that would be the problem.

mike

Reply to
Pin77

Check the fuel filter. It is probably on the driver's side frame rail.

Moon

Reply to
sew1