95 Windstar transmission

I have a 95 Winstar. I need to change the transmission fluid. Is there a filter screen in the transmission that needs changed to? If so where is it at in the transmission case?

Thanks

Gene snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
Gene

Sorry I forgot to ask. If it does have a screen, how will the transmission act if it's pluged up like 80%?

Reply to
Gene

let me make an educated guess here

it neutrals out at stops, you must give it gas before it goes again

Reply to
TranSurgeon

No. The only thing it does is it shifts hard going from 2nd to 3nd. And sometimes it just doesn't seem like it's grabbing the gears like it use to when it shifts. It just doesn't seem like it's getting the fluid to shift right. I guess it could be me as my fluid ain't what it use to be.

Reply to
Gene

usually when a Ford starts 'shifting hard', it is because the ECM has detected a slip in one or more gears, and gone into 'FMEM' or Failure Management Emergency Mode

this boosts pressures and attempts to prevent the slip

sounds like something is on the way out

how many miles on it ?

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Well, it only has 183,000 miles on it. So don't tell me it needs rebuilt. I just can't believe that, no way. So don't tell me. :) I pulled a 4,000 pound trailer for over 10, 000 miles with it. So it can't be that. :)

It really has been a great van. The only thing I have done to it is put a transmission cooler on it and changed the oil every 5,000 miles Ford did do the head gasket thing at 100,000 miles.

If it goes into the FMEM mode doesn't it show on the dash readout? (Flashing light gismo).

Thanks for your help TranS

Reply to
Gene

sometimes they will, sometimes not

it's a Ferd thing

hell, sometimes even the guy who programmed it cna't explain it

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Auto computers, Ain't they great????

I'll change the fluid and screen and see what happens. Now to my original question. Does it have a screen or filter? If so where is it. Thanks again.

Reply to
Gene

in the pan

make sure the new one matches the old one exactly.....95 and 96 were 'transition years' from the AX4S (formerly AXOD-E) to the AX4N and they take different filters

Reply to
TranSurgeon