Transmission fluid change in 95 Windstar ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

TranSurgeon or Whoever:

When I change the fluid in my transmission I know there is still some fluid left in the channels in the transmission.

Is there any way to get the old fluid out of the transmission? Like maybe running the motor for maybe 30 seconds and shifting through the gears several times and letting the fluid run out into a catch pan. Or is there another way? Or am I just to much of a perfectionist?

Thanks All

Gene

Reply to
Gene

best way is to change it, run it, drain it, fill it, run it, repeat a couple times

there's about 12 quarts in that one, only 4 in the pan, so you must do it several times to get the majority out

do NOT run it 'empty', you will roast the pump

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Ok, What about this? Since I have an add on cooler in front of the radiator , Could I put a large container full of new fluid (Like 20 QT) and let it run into the input line throught the X-mission and let it run out of the transmission output line?

That way when 12 or so quarts come out I know it is full of new fluid.

I know I'm strange.

Gene

Reply to
Gene

no, because the 'transmission input line' goes to lube; there is no 'suction' on it

I do NOT endorse the following, but you could overfill it about 4 quarts, start it and let it pump a gallon out, and repeat that about 2 or three times

DO NOT LET IT run low to where the pump sucks air

Reply to
TranSurgeon

OK TranSurgeon, Your getting me mad now and your just trying to make this hard. Soooooooooooooo I'll make a pressurized container full of fluid that has a pressure tank behind it to force the fluid into the intake line to the transmission from my outboard cooler.

I can use pressure air to do this pretty easy. That way I can run the

15 or so quarts through the Xmission. That way I'll have all new fluid.

OK It's your turn. Poke holes in this idea :)

PS. Thanks for all the help.

Always Remember. I'm an Electrical Engineer which means I'm capable of screwing mechinical Things up beyond repair.

Reply to
Gene

I've made my final suggestion (and noted that I do NOT endorse it)

do what you want, but why are you so reluctant to drop the pan ?

the old dirty filter will still be in there

Reply to
TranSurgeon

It takes all kinds Hey Remove the pan for **** sake. Geoff.

Reply to
GeoffP

I am going to drop the pan. I neved did not want to drop the pan. That's the easy part. I just want to get ALL of the old fluid out.

Reply to
Gene

what's the fixation with getting it 'all out' ?...........it ain't never gonna happen

say it holds 12 quarts and you change 4

then you have 2/3 old

next time, you change 4 more quarts

but this time you get 1/3 of the 2/3 'old stuff'

now you have changed 1/3 + 2/9 = 5/9 of the 'old'

so you have 4/9 'old' left

changing 1/3 again gets you 4/27 of the 'old'

so now you have changed out 15/27 + 4/27 of the old, or 19/27 or just over

2/3

this process can be continued indefinetely, with diminishing returns

best is to change it now, then in a week or so, then in another week, then start doing it every 12-15K

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Man, doing math on a holiday. I'd be torqued off.

lol

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

I was going to do the iterations out to six or 7 terms, but ran out of steam (and lunch was ready)

Reply to
TranSurgeon

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, gets in the way of my food either.

later,

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

On Mon, 30 May 2005 13:59:26 +0000, TranSurgeon rearranged some electrons to form:

Couldn't he drain the converter? Maybe Windstars don't have a drain plug.

BTW, since when was a Windstar a truck?

Reply to
David M

no drain plug on the AX-series converters

Reply to
TranSurgeon

On Tue, 31 May 2005 00:16:45 +0000, TranSurgeon rearranged some electrons to form:

Yeah, figured as much. Sure makes it easy to get almost all the fluid out on my 4R70W.

Reply to
David M

I have no idea but Ford calls it a truck. Look it up.

Reply to
Gene

On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:44:51 -0700, Gene rearranged some electrons to form:

Minivans are right there with the cars.

So how do you figure a Windstar is a truck?

Reply to
David M

My Chilton Labor Guide calls it a truck, but I'll agree that in every mechanical respect it's a car.

CJB

Reply to
CJB

I believe, underneath, the Windstar is a Taurus, as least in the respect of drivetrain and suspension.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader