'96 ranger EGR Valve flow insufficient

my friend has a '96 Ranger with a 3.0 L V-6, the check engine light has been on for some time so i hooked up my ODB II code reader and the resulting code said that the EGR valve flow is insufficient. the EGR vacuum line was broken so i replaced it and erased the code....two days later the light was back on. is there anything i can do to check the actual valve to see if it needs to be replaced. and is there any way to check the valve position sensor? What all could be wrong that would cause an "insufficient flow" error code? and what can i do to check it? Idle is a little rough but runs pretty well as far as i know. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

almfreak

Reply to
almfreak

snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Oooh, OOOH!... I know this one... just went through it with my '99 Ranger

3.0L. (Code P0141 IIRC) Your EGR is (probably) fine, it's your nearby IAC (Idle Air Controller) that's going bad/clogging up. The IAC is close enough to the EGR to get clogged with exhaust carbon. Giving the IAC a hard SMACK with a hammer can clear up the problem for quite awhile. (I'm not sure yet whether IAC can be successfully cleaned w/ carb cleaner, or must be replaced... it's $52-$62, right up top, easy to swap out.)

AFAIK, there is no "valve position sensor". Your PCM just knows there's insufficient air flow to the throttle body (via MAF?), and falsely BLAMES it on the EGR. You can test/eliminate your EGR with a cheap handheld vacuum pump. (No telling what kind of $$ games dealers/hosers play on civilians with this false EGR code...)

Right now it's just rough idle, but eventually you won't be able to start it without your foot on the gas, and you'll have to keep it revved at stoplights. It's going to be running too rich most of the time on short local drives, so get after it. Seriously though, I was surprised how well the hammer-whack cleared things up... for a couple weeks.

Let us know how it goes...

Reply to
seeker-x