98 4.6 triton Chain

Hi everyone I was getting a terrible noise from my timing chain and after taking off the cover I found it loose .The tensioner seems to be the problem it has lots of force when it is off but hardly any when it is on.My question is ,Does the oil that goes through the tensioner just spray the chain or help with the tension.

Thanks Rusty

Reply to
Rusty

Oil pressure is used to tension the chain.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Thanks seems it was clogged Rusty